raising broilers in the winter

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TyerFamilyFarm, Feb 16, 2015.

1. TyerFamilyFarm

TyerFamilyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    I am expecting some chicks in a week and i was wondering how cold hearty they are. I am going to be putting them in my garage in a brooder with a heat lamp. I will be making a tractor for my pasture when they are ready. I am wondering how cold resistant they are when they get all their feathers. I will build a heated shelter if i need to but i would like to use a tractor with coverage. I live in Colorado and the winters can get to 0 sometimes. Thanks in advance!

2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. Glad to have you. You need to start your tractor immediately. They grow insanely fast. Lots of wind blocking with hay bales or tarps. They will need the lamp for a few days. How many are you getting? :D

3. 19disbre

19disbre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Snow will make putting them out to pasture almost pointless, don't know if you get snow but?

4. TyerFamilyFarm

Feb 16, 2015
    I am getting 20 Cx. And 5 red rangers. I will use the tractor to move around the pasture in the summer. What I was wondering is if that will work with extra space to keep them in the winter as far as warmth goes. I will have a Draft free area in the tractor. I just don't know how well they do in cold weather. We do get snow here and some cold nights. How long after their feathers are they going to need a heat lamp? Thank you for all the advice.

5. TyerFamilyFarm

Feb 16, 2015
    I have no problem building what I need to to make this work. I got a little to excited getting into meat chickens and ordered early. I still have a couple pretty cold months to get through.

6. 19disbre

19disbre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    How long after their feathers are they going to need a heat lamp? Once they feather out the heat can be removed

I have no problem building what I need to to make this work. What do you mean by this?

Warning: Everything I say is just being repeated I am actually doing meat bird for the first time this year also

7. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome!
    You'll likely send them to slaughter at about 6-8 weeks, so you won't have to worry about summer accommodation for this batch. Broilers grow INSANELY fast, like, almost overnight fast, so be prepared before they arrive to accommodate them for their duration.

8. TyerFamilyFarm

Feb 16, 2015
    I was just saying i can build a heated coop or larger windproof pen if i need to for the winter but would rather not have to build a ton if my next batch won't need it for spring and summer and will be just using the tractor

9. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I would plan to leave this batch in the garage until slaughter, they don't move around too much anyways. If you haven't yet raised broilers but are familiar with regular chickens, the difference will astound you. Then for your next batch you can build out the tractor and brood right in there provided it's secured and you can get a lamp out to it.

Good luck! You'll never want store bought meat again ;)

10. TyerFamilyFarm

Feb 16, 2015
    If I keep them In the garage how big does a pen need to be for 25 6 week old birds. The garage I will use has a dirt floor. What's going to be the best flooring for them and easy to clean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by