Raising Broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cdeans, Dec 16, 2008.

1. cdeans

cdeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have 15 Broilers I ordered with my Red Star chicks. I know you have to watch there food intake. But how much? Do I need to separate them from the others, and not allow them to have free choice of food? And if so at what age? Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Check over in the meat bird section. There is great info there.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    You can feed them together for the first two weeks then they will need to be seperated. Reason being is they broilers will need a higher protein diet. They will also make a mess of your brooder for your layer chicks and possible peck them as they will double the size of the layers within a few weeks.

When restricting the feed let them have 12 hours with feed, then 12 hours without. It's your choice weather or not you want to keep the lights on or off. I would start to restrict their feed at 2-3 weeks of age.

4. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We always order the Broilers with other breeds in the spring. We keep them together for the first three weeks. After the second or third week they start to hog the feeders and the other breeds can't keep up. We then move them to a portable chicken tractor because they eat and poop more. We fill their feeders in the morning and evening until they are 7 weeks. We then take their feeders away at night but always have water available to them. This is what has worked best for us raising them. They are not your "standard breed of chicken".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by