1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising Broilers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Aug 11, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

We're busy rasing our layin' hens, but now we're thinking of raising meat birds. (I need to feed the fuzzy butt addiction! [​IMG]) Do you feed meat brids chick starter or do they get something special?

Thanks, Sonja

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    You can feed starter, but many people do broiler chow the whole time.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i am giving mine chick starter for turkeys. higher protein. they look great and i haven't had any health issues yet. (they are just hitting 3 weeks.)

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I used medicated feed until 2 weeks or so, then I use Layer crumbles and right now, using layer crumbles and mixed with 1/2 scratch. I believe my protein level is 14 % and they are 6 weeks now and gaining like crazy, still walking but 2 gallons of water a day (if its warm, more) and 1 gallon of feed every other day- I only have 6 birds. I'd have to say 6 or 8 lbs now, there are a couple that are 5 pounders. They are eating machines and stinky.

5. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Will they grow better will broiler chow or chick feed?

Thanks, Sonja

6. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I do like some others have said chick starter for the first 2 weeks and then broiler grower. This is my first batch so I am just doing what I have read. Good Luck.

7. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

we just started our first meat chicks,
    and we also got some egg chicks
    the place we got them from, said start them on chick starter,
    I wanted medicated, but they said not to do that with meat birds, so ever one was getting feed the starter, and i put medicine in the eggs girls water.
    well some of the meat birds got pasting really bad and none of the egg girls did.
    and we just order our next batch of meat birds
    so this time, I will put them on medicated starter for the first 2 or 3 weeks, then they will go on broiler feed

i just dont want to deal with the pasting again.

8. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:You are using layer on broilers? Why?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by