Raising Canadian Geese in Canada?

Brad Nimbus

Chirping
Dec 5, 2018
ALBERTA
Hi everyone! I've spent quite some time searching for the legalities regarding raising Canadian geese in Canada without much luck. It seems like there's a lot of contradictory information. Is it legal to incubate/raise/rescue/hatch/own Canadian geese in Canada? Could anyone lead me in the right direction towards the right information? To me they just look like everyday "cackling" geese :confused:

I appreciate any help and an extra super thanks for cited sources :thumbsup
cackling goose.jpg

Canada Goose.jpg

You would have to check with your local provincial officials of wild bird and game. Every state and province is different. In Washington state we can’t and crows are off limits too even if they are abandoned and left out to die we have to call the state officials that deal with wild bird and game.

You would have to check with your local provincial officials of wild bird and game. Every state and province is different. In Washington state we can’t and crows are off limits too even if they are abandoned and left out to die we have to call the state officials that deal with wild bird and game.

Is this information not posted online?

You call the local provincial wildlife rehabilitation center. Then ask them if it is legal in your area. That’s it.

I appreciate your assistance but I really need answers from someone familiar with Canadian laws, Alberta in particular. I know 100% you mean well but the local rehabilitation centres are generally on volunteer basis with no authority whatsoever and are unable to show me the actual laws regarding my questions. I'd like to get this information on Backyard chickens.

I appreciate your assistance but I really need answers from someone familiar with Canadian laws, Alberta in particular. I know 100% you mean well but the local rehabilitation centres are generally on volunteer basis with no authority whatsoever and are unable to show me the actual laws regarding my questions. I'd like to get this information on Backyard chickens.
They would be able to direct you in the correct way then.
I am from BC the laws from Alberta are not much different. They are illegal in BC.

Technically any goose hatched in Canada is a Canadian goose. I think you are asking about "Canada Geese" the species :p (ornithologist wisecrack)

I'm not sure about the second part of your question regarding the species. Cackling geese (first picture) are wild animals the same as Canada geese (second picture) but each have been sorted into their own species somewhat recently and their are also subspecies within each.

I think in either case, call your local wildlife law enforcement agency and ask them. They would be the ones writing you a citation if it was illegal, so they would probably be a good authority to ask.

Back
Top Bottom