1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising capons past slaughter age?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickbea, Feb 16, 2007.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Hi -
    Has anyone out there ever raised capons past the traditional slaughter age? I imagine they have obesity troubles, but what else might happen if you just kept them as pets?
    Amy

2. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know. I imagine they would have a weight problem. I was willing to take a chance with my white brauma rooster though. The problem was, I noticed he was a rooster at too late of an age. I took him to a vet, he was about 15 weeks old. The vet told me the risks, but I love the guy and wasn't prepared for 2 roosters. I didn't want to give him away, because someone might eat him. I couldn't stand that!! So the vet operated.(It cost me over $300.00.) He didn't survive. He bled to death. I don't blame the vet, I knew what could happen. It's a tricky operation when they get a certain age. I feel bad, but I know where he is. I buried him at home. So good luck to you and your capon. I wish I could help you out, but I just don't know. If I had been successful, I would have kept him as long as he would have lived, so I know where your coming from. Merry

3. peckhamchick

peckhamchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2007
    If I understand correctly, a capon is a castrated male chicken, right? Since this is the "Meat Birds" board, I imagine we're talking about a meat bird, right? What I can say is that I've been told that with most meat crosses used in production, keeping them after slaughter weight is ok for a few weeks, but their breasts continue to grow and become so large that they actually suffocate. I would imagine that it's breed dependent. (i.e.: if you have a breed that is used in a cross, like a Plymouth Rock, then you're ok, but if you have a Rock Cornish cross, then it won't survive.)

How old is your bird now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by