Raising Chicken in an urban lot? Wish you had farmland? This thread is for you!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jendodd79, Jan 3, 2013.

1. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    I wanted to start a thread for all of us urban "farmers" who wish that they actually were on farmland!

I wish that as a young, naive 24 year old I could have thought more about the long term, because darn it - real estate here was so cheap 8 years ago! Now with the inflation in real estate not matching the inflation in salaries, we're most likely stuck here in R zoning forever.

Anyone else else wish that they had a farm? What do you have now? Where are you? What kind of farm would you have if you could have one?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I live in the suburbs but I would love to have five acres or so. Chickens, definantly, and I would also want a milk cow, some goats and a donkey. I don't have much of a green thumb but I would try for a smallish garden and by smallish I mean probably about .1 acres.

Dreaming away... I would love to breed and show chickens and sell hatching eggs. Maybe Australorps and Orpingtons. :)

3. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Hi!

I'd also love 3-5 acres. I have 8 raised bed vegetable plots but would love to double that this year - which would unfortunately take up my entire front yard green space :)

4. heirloomorps

heirloomorps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2012
    Brooksville, FL
    My Coop
    We moved from England to Tennessee so we could have the space we wanted. After living in a city with 6 million people for four years it is a HUGE change to have 11 acres but a wonderful change. [​IMG]

Along with our Silkies, Wyandottes, Marans, and Orpingtons we have for breeding/hatching eggs, we have free ranging chickens for our own eggs, along with cows, miniature goats, pigs and turkeys. And we still have space to grow!

5. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    I live in Chicago. Let me tell you every square inch of my land is taken up by vegatable and fruit garden, including my balcony and chicken run roof! I do wish for more land but we made the choice of living in city so making the best of it [​IMG]

6. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Ohh - I want to see! I need some inspiration!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by