Raising chickens and turkeys together, what to feed???

DuckyDestiny

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 6, 2013
Washington
so i have a small group of chickens. 6 laying hens, 1 rooster, and just recently 2 chicks (pullets). Im going to be getting some turkeys in late april and was curious what i feed once they are large enough to join the larger flock? i know they will be eating together and i see food is labeled chicken/turkey. is there a feed that is good to feed your layer hens and the turkeys and rooster???

awesome, that's good to hear. do you happen to know about how long they are "growing" before layer pellets are fine? i'm getting holland white turkeys if that matters.

I'd say once their full sized with all their feathers. It sounds like Hollands get pretty big, so you can always supplement with Dubia roaches (for protein) or mix game feed half & half with layer feed. The biggest issue is just to make sure they have enough protein. If you want to raise them to lay, then mixing half & half would be fine, but if you want the toms ready for butchering, feeding them straight game bird will make the best growth rate.

But the biggest would be fully feathered, since that takes a lot of protein. So long as meat isn't your factor, then you'll be fine.

Also, chickens can eat gamebird fine. When we had turkeys we would simply switch out what we were feeding daily.. One day laying feed, the other day gamebird feed.

Also! Turkeys are tall. you can use this to your advantage, and make an area the chickens can't fly to, but the turkeys can reach to (though they might not want to bother).

Or you can do separate feedings (we did this when we had a lone turkey, we'd let him eat gamebird food whenever we were out there, since he always seemed hungry. But this wouldn't be too practical for multiple animals)

ya i dont plan on butchering them. pets lol i plan on raising any possible mated lays for meat if i end up with a tom and a hen. two toms and i'll sell one and try for another hen. but either way my plan for these turkeys is to keep as loved pets. =)

so it sounds like i'll just keep them seperated from the flock until they have full feathers in. sounds like the easiest method for me.

i was going to get the midget whites if my local store wasn't able to get the whilte hollands, but they were so i ordered those. maybe next time the white midgets lol

Back
Top Bottom