1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising chickens and turkeys together?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by AlvinsFinest, Feb 21, 2012.

1. AlvinsFinest

AlvinsFinest Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Can you raise chickens and turkeys together and which breed do you think is the best looking breed? Just want one turkey for looks!

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  3. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Yes you can raise chickens & turkeys together, mine are doing just fine. As long as you clean up their droppings & give them clean water everyday they should be fine. If you raise them from chicks they'll be ok, but if you add a new addition to your group make sure they are washed de-wormed & de-mite/lice. Also becareful if you add a new bird to the group because your original birds are very territorial. Other than that I think I got everything, hope I helped.

4. ken-t

ken-t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Many People do keep chickens and turkeys together, including myself. They recommend not because of deceases particularly Black Head. The pouts I first got was five heritage bronze and one midget white. I picked up the white because she was the last one and I felt sorry for her. I thought if nothing else I could put it in the oven. I brought them home and slipped them under a broody hen that night, she did fine raising them. The white turned out to be a hen and she and she knew how to butter me up. I kept her around to raise more Turkeys. I normally kept a Tom and two hens but that year I kept three hens. I let mine free range and the turkeys found their own roost away from the chickens. I also run other birds with them. Good Luck

5. kschicks2013

kschicks2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Fernley, Nevada
    Do turkey chicks eat chick starter like chicken chicks do? Also do i keep them under a heat lamp as well? I raised chicken chicks and kept them in a large pen in the garage with a heat lamp to keep them at the optimum temp.

6. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    turkey poults can eat chick starter but they need a higher protein feed. I udually try to feed mine 27% gamebird starter.

Yes they need a heat lamp about 95 to 100f. For about a week then reduce temp 5 degrees a week for next few weeks.

Something I learned the hard way is a cold wet poult is usually a dead poult.

7. joojy

joojy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    bloomington indiana
    the royal palms are pretty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by