1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising chickens and Turkeys together

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hawkwindranch, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Hawkwindranch

Hawkwindranch New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    I free range Bourbon Red turkeys and laying hens in the same pasture and they roost together, no problems. At this time i am incubating 15 turkey eggs and 15 chickens eggs, i timed it so they would all hatch at the same time. Everything I read tells me to keep the poults separate from the chicks and I was trying to find out if anyone had successfully raised them together. If I can't at what age can i put them together.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    They should not be kept together because of Blackhead disease. This is transmitted from chickens to turkeys by means of the cecal worm. When turkeys peck around the droppings, they catch it. Mortality is very high.

3. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow I was planning to rise a turkey with my chickens do I need to get it a separte coop?!

4. Hawkwindranch

Hawkwindranch New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    I have been raising my chickens and turkeys together for two years with no problem, I think it is just the poults.
    The breeder I bought my turkeys from had chickens everywhere, but I can't seem to get a hold of her. I have never raised little chicks with Poults at the same time and i am trying to figure out if I can as long as I don't have blackhead disease.

5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    That would be best, unless they will free range in the same space. Then the added precaution of getting a separate coop would be useless. They both need separate run areas too.

Good luck!

6. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    If you search keeping turkeys and chickens together you'll see a lot of threads about it, and from what people said it's a regional problem. Some places have blackhead, some don't. I know someone who used to raise poults and chicks together, so if you can figure out if blackhead is in your area, you might be able to raise them together.

7. Hawkwindranch

Hawkwindranch New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    I live in Northern California in the foothills and I don't think blackhead is a problem.

Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by