Raising chickens as pets/layers for the first time...accidentally bought a cornish rock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cmetzoi, Mar 3, 2015.

1. cmetzoi

cmetzoi New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Hello,

This is my first time having chickens. I got them 2 days ago, and I have 7. One of my chickens is a cornish rock. I got it because it was cute, and I didn't know that they get really fat, have leg problems and cannot survive long!! I really love this chicken, its name is ButterBall and it is my favorite. It is so friendly, cute, and outgoing. I do NOT want to eat ButterBall!!! The thought of it inevitably suffering health problems is really saddening to me. Does anyone have any success stories of their Cornish Rocks living healthy, long lives? What can I do to help poor ButterBall??? I got these chickens because I wanted fresh eggs, and I thought it would be fun raising chickens...But now I just feel heartache =( I thought about returning ButterBall, but she probably has a better chance with me, and I don't feel like it is right to return her if she will have to suffer and die somewhere else...

I would appreciate any positive input.

2. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    You can take a meat bird and keep it for a laying hen. You have to make sure you regulate the amount of feed it consumes though and that it gets plenty of free ranging exercise. I would suggest once it's a little older about 4 months or so only feed it every other day and make it forage for its food. It will help it not have health issues

3. cmetzoi

cmetzoi New Egg

Mar 3, 2015
    Really?? Omg, thank you! I was literally crying last night about this whole ordeal. I don't why I got so attached to these buggers so quickly...but it is great that butterball has a chance!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by