Raising Chickens During College

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grandparooster, Jul 6, 2010.

1. grandparooster

grandparooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Montague, Michigan
    Hi, I am the proud parent of 56 chickens from a week old to 10 weeks old and i was wondering if anyone has raised or know if there is a way to raise chickens during college. I live about an hour away from all the major colleges in my state and i would not be able to run back and forth every day to take care of the chickens. Any advice would be great!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    As a college student myself, I live off-campus... an hour away from campus. Most colleges/dorms have strict policies on what kinds of pets and animals are allowed. Check with the college to be sure, but chickens are most likely not allowed.

3. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    I am going to college this fall with a few of my chickens. I found someone that is walking distance from the college that is going to let me raise my chickens in her backyard. She already has 4 chickens and a coop but she said I could raise my girls there as long as i provide feed and water and also give her a few eggs every once in a while.

4. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Quote:hmmmmm 56 chicks in 1 dorm(THAT should be interesting [​IMG]) Maybe they could build a coop in the dorm [​IMG]

5. Doodles21

Doodles21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    So will you be living on campus in a dorm, moving, or commuting? If you are going away then you could hire someone to care for your chickens through the week and then you could come back on weekends. They may even do it at a reduced rate if they get to keep some of the eggs. Of course, you will want someone you can trust and preferably has knowledge of/experience with chickens but even a reliable teenager in need of a part time job may be able to help.

6. Tater n Beans

Tater n Beans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Extreme South Texas
    We came to a similar dilemma. We were raising a few chickens and ducks on our in-town property until we met the nice animal control officer. We decided that we would keep our fowl by renting a small parcel of property in an agricultural zone a couple of miles from home which is on our way to and from our daily duties. I am not saying that this is the most economical or convenient solution but it is working quite well for us. Also, have you looked to see if there is a CSA close by? They might be willing to coop your flock for a share of your eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by