Raising Chickens For Dummies

Kyleharry16

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Should I actually get the Raising Chickens For Dummies book or should I get all the info I need online? (Limited buget and new chicken raiser)
Thanks-
Kyle

Well, It will be cheaper to gather all/most of your info online or/and you could also check out the local library.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
When I started with the chicken raising I just got books from the library and from here. I have incubated and raised baby chicks now for over 3 months and have had chickens since March. So far it has worked for me. I have had goo hatch rates and so far only one out of over 40 chicks has died on me.

Count me in for the library bunch. I have been reading library books for the last two years, some of them checked out more than once over that period, but I have only bought one book and that is because it has the most information about the most subjects of all the books I read. I finally bought City Chicks, by Patricia Foreman, because it covers everything including diseases and how to treat them. Some of the books sounded really good when you read the review, but most of the time they didn't live up to the hype. I would rather "borrow" a book until I know for sure that it really contains the information I need. Some of the most popular poultry books were a waste for me, so I returned them mostly unread, and I wasn't out $25.

You are better off reading books to help you use the Internet effectively. There's so much you won't know enough about to even do a proper search until you read up on the subject of chicken keeping. I grew up on a farm where we kept chickens for eggs and meat, but I was totally unprepared for raising day old chicks in a cardboard "brooder" box, except for I had a library book with a brooding journal of what happens daily from brooder set-up and getting the baby chicks, that went all the way to moving the chicks to the coop and run. So many things can happen to little chicks so quickly that you might not have time to do an Internet search before something irreversible happens.

Quote:
It's a very good book I really like it but it really doesn't have anything new that you can't get on this website. If you really want to read it get it from the library then you don't have to pay.

Personally I love my Raising Chickens for Dummies book. Yes you can get lots of info online but sometimes I just like to curl up on the couch and read my chicken book. I seem to retain it better when I look at an actual book for some reason and it's pretty easy to find stuff in it if I have a question about something I read. I also have Building Chicken Coops for Dummies. Our library has a horrid selection and the chicken books are so old the pages are brittle and a lot of the information is outdated.

Back
Top Bottom