Raising chickens in Okaloosa County Florida

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Anna Mae, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Anna Mae

Anna Mae New Egg

Dec 12, 2014
    I have been reading some conflicting articles on whether or not I can have chickens in on my property. I live in Crestview Fl and own approximately 2 acres, my 2 neighbors have 10 and 24 acre plots, my residence is not considered agriculture land, I am in Okaloosa county but not with in the city limits of Crestview.

If anyone could direct me to the article/ordinance that specifics which areas does and does not allow for raising of chickens. Thank you.

2. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    It doesn't matter if you are in city limits or not. It matters there how your plot of land is zoned by the county. If it is zoned residential, then no chickens. Unless you get an exemption. I'd go for it and try to get one. You're not in a typical, reach out and touch your neighbor, neighborhood.

WHAT DOES THE LAW SAY? According to Okaloosa County's Land Development Code 2.21.05, "The keeping or harboring of livestock, poultry, or honeybees is not considered customarily incidental to residential uses of property and is prohibited in residential districts including R-1, R-2, R-3 and RR, unless otherwise approved by special exemption." 

I moved up here from navarre, santa rosa county, where you can have chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by