Raising chickens in Okaloosa County Florida

Anna Mae

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
I have been reading some conflicting articles on whether or not I can have chickens in on my property. I live in Crestview Fl and own approximately 2 acres, my 2 neighbors have 10 and 24 acre plots, my residence is not considered agriculture land, I am in Okaloosa county but not with in the city limits of Crestview.

If anyone could direct me to the article/ordinance that specifics which areas does and does not allow for raising of chickens. Thank you.

It doesn't matter if you are in city limits or not. It matters there how your plot of land is zoned by the county. If it is zoned residential, then no chickens. Unless you get an exemption. I'd go for it and try to get one. You're not in a typical, reach out and touch your neighbor, neighborhood.

WHAT DOES THE LAW SAY? According to Okaloosa County's Land Development Code 2.21.05, "The keeping or harboring of livestock, poultry, or honeybees is not considered customarily incidental to residential uses of property and is prohibited in residential districts including R-1, R-2, R-3 and RR, unless otherwise approved by special exemption." 

I moved up here from navarre, santa rosa county, where you can have chickens.

Crestview Florida has two different ordinances one is an animal control section that says there are no chickens allowed whatsoever with no exceptions. The second ordinance is in the building codes and it states that as long as your hen house and flock are a hundred feet away from your property line you may apply for a permit. No roosters are allowed. However, when I call the city hall to speak to them about the two ordinances they act like they know nothing about permits and are unable to provide an answer. My clients are supposed to be able to apply to get a permit but the city is denying them this application process. How is this even legal?? I would like to challenge these ordinances if anyone wants to help. I have never done anything like this before.

Crestview Florida has two different ordinances one is an animal control section that says there are no chickens allowed whatsoever with no exceptions. The second ordinance is in the building codes and it states that as long as your hen house and flock are a hundred feet away from your property line you may apply for a permit. No roosters are allowed. However, when I call the city hall to speak to them about the two ordinances they act like they know nothing about permits and are unable to provide an answer. My clients are supposed to be able to apply to get a permit but the city is denying them this application process. How is this even legal?? I would like to challenge these ordinances if anyone wants to help. I have never done anything like this before.
Hello, I am planning on moving to Crestview. Is there any way to have a flock of 4 hens? This ordinance seems crazy in this day and time with the food shortages we've experienced in the past 1.5 years.

I would like to help.

It's not a confusing ordinance. I used to live down there. If you live in UNincorporated areas you can have chickens if you follow the distance and sexing guidelines. If you live in an incorporated area, like a town, village, or city, they are not allowed.

Crestview is very much a town, and they are not allowed. That said there are areas down there that are rural and part of the unincorporated areas of towns and villages, but they are becoming quickly incorporated for convenience and access to services around Eglin.

By the way, if you are unincorporated and allowed to have them WITH a permit on non agriculturally zoned land, the permit is usually granted and paid for through the animal control division.

Zoning and Building Permitting are two different things. Zoning tells you whether you are allowed to do a thing, conditionally approved to do a thing, or forbidden from doing a thing. Building Permitting then determines whether or not the thing you are doing, i.e. building a hen house, is up to the Building code standards for location from property lines, potable water sources, or whatever other restrictions they choose to put on things.

@WthrLady has provided you very good information. Your use of your property depends upon how it is zoned. Your neighbors use is irrelevant, as a parcel of 10+ acres is almost always zoned differently than a parcel of 2 acres. You could, of course, petition for a zoning variance, allowing you an otherwise disapproved use for your property - but the process is long, political, and is not guaranteed success.

Its a bit of a drive, but have you considered Holmes County??? Outside Bonifay, the county is "quite" permissive. We had an apartment in Crestview for a while while securing our land. Have since moved. Don't miss it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom