Raising chickens in the north?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dunmovinfarms, Mar 20, 2012.

1. dunmovinfarms

dunmovinfarms New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    I am interested in having a coop again. We used to have a coop of 32 chickens/3 rooster coop but we lived in sunny CA. We now live in Minnesota. Are there any winter surviving chickens raisers out there? Can someone give me some ideas on what kind of coop would be best for this kind of weather? Or ideas on how to build one? LIght source, insulation?

We live in a city where chickens are allowed by city ordinances. We have about 1/3 of acre. The area for the coop is not a problem. My concern is about the winters. Does the coop need to be out of the snow or can it stay out in the snow as long as it has a heat source? Any hardier breeds than others? Can I have bantams or would larger breeds be better?

Im sure there are more questions, I am forgetting to ask. I appreciate all the help from the chicken lovers here, thanks for your help.

Dunmovinfarms

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. lotusgirl40

lotusgirl40 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Hi, I live in New Brunswick, Canada. We kept chickens for the first time this winter. Our coop is raised and insulated with styrafoam between the walls. We have Speckled Sussex and Silver Laced Wyandottes. There were only a couple of very, cold, wet days that the chickens weren't outside. Other than that they were out every day all winter and did very well.

4. Grammas Chicks

Grammas Chicks New Egg

Jul 2, 2013
    Hi there! Just getting started and want to keep 3 or 4 hens, no roosters. Would like to know more about your coop. Difficult to find plans for small coops that meet the cold weather needs here. Would like to set up with heat lamp for heat if necessary.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by