Raising chickens on a SEED farm

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bcbio, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bcbio

bcbio New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    OK I am new to the whole chicken raising thing, got my boys an incubator from Santa and away we went. Got chickens running out my !!! chicken pen. I built the pen on a seed farm thinking all the food you could ever want, the farmer was happy because the stuff is everywhere and just rots stinks. Down there today and one of the old farm hands tells me that you better not let them eat the soybeans. By the way he is standing on a pile of them that just came out of the grain truck about 2 feet deep. They have corn, wheat, soybeans, and free range everything else. Here is the question with the hundreds of pounds of stuff laying around there for them to eat will they run right to the soybeans and pig out or is there a little guardian chicken that tells them not to eat the mighty tasty looking beans in giant piles everywhere?? Right now they are still in the coop locked up eating starter/grower, don't tell me I am not going to be able to let them out to eat because there are soybeans laying around everywhere

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They'll eat a little of everything but mostly what they like first. If they end up preferring the soybeans they'll eat them. There's no way to tell.
    Soybeans do need to be cooked for chickens to eat them.
    Do a search for trypsin inhibitor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by