Raising chickens organically

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
Does anyone raise their chickens organically? Ive always bought organic eggs and now that we'll be collecting them from our coop, I'd like them to be organic as well. I'm not talking about getting certified or never letting them have access to treats or grass that may not be organic, justbsaying id like to feed them organic feed and avaoid the use of meds, pesticides and such.

I'd love to hear how one worms and deals with mites an all. I know DE is a popular choice, anything else?

My girls are 7 weeks now and I need to start thinking about pest management now that they'll be going out in the coop.

Thanks

Quote:
That is the plan. My first chicks arrive Thursday or Friday--have the organic feed ready, a few homeopathic remedies for first aid if needed and some fresh well water. We will be giving treats/scraps also, but all the food we buy for ourselves is organic. Will also do some sprouting. We do no use any chemicals on the lawn or fields, so that is not an issue.

With my goats and dogs we have only ever used diatomaceous earth and herbs for external and internal parasites and will do the same for the chicks if needed. Sunlight is also great for taking care of mites or lice.

We purchased a local(in state) organic feed--Scratch and Peck, but I plan on mixing my own whole grains in the near future. I am still working at finding affordable bulk sources for local organic seeds and grains.

~Shannon

Does anyone raise their chickens organically?

Nothing worse than an inorganic chicken....

lol.png

Back
Top Bottom