raising chickens to sustain my school

maya universe

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 25, 2013
Nepal
Hello!
I am the co-founder of Maya Universe Academy. We have 3 schools in rural Nepal which I started after living in Maine, USA for a few years. We provide education to more than a hundred children who otherwise would have been left out by the present system. Instead of paying money to the school, the parents of the students volunteer at the school for two days of every month. I have always been interested by the traditional Nepalese breed of chickens and I have been raising them in my school. I have built little homes for them which we open every morning and shut every night. We don't do much else except give them some grains. They run around the jungle, forage and raise their young with a lot of life. I have been eating and selling the roosters and keeping the females. Now, I got about 20 hens who hatch about ten eggs each every couple of months. I am starting to think, I could really raise money for the school by raising chickens. I would never be able to treat my hens like some egg laying machines neither would I be able to take their freedom of movement away. However, as the number of chicks increase, so does my problems. Some of the hens are friends with each other but they don't want to mingle with the chicks of other hens. I also lose a lot of chicks to foxes, mongoose, wild cats and predator birds. They also make a lot of mess everywhere. I need to find a way to keep growing my back yard farming and I am here on this website to find some new ideas and share some knowledge I have.
You can learn more about me and my work if you google: Maya Universe Academy. We also have a facebook page.
Thank you,
Manjil Rana

good morning mr. rana, it does sound to me like a wonderful thing you are doing. education is the foundation of life. i know you do not wish to lock your chickens away but the solution you seek is in separating the chicks into their own flock until they are big enough to fend for their self . good luck in your endeavors and a few pictures wouldn't hurt.
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! There are some articles in the Learning Center on predators and how to protect your flock as well as articles on flock management and much more.

Back
Top Bottom