Raising chickens & turkeys for meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by quercus21, Jan 17, 2013.

1. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    I have been raising chicken meaties for a while now and was thinking of trying some turkeys. We had a "home grown" turkey last year, and the better half love it. I have 2 coops for egg layers and was going to consolidate them into one. I was going to use the spare coop for the turkeys. Each coop has a run and the eggers are allowed free roam during the day of the yard etc. The chicken meaties are kept penned up in their own area.
    My question, Should I do anything to the spare coop before putting the turkeys in there? Yes, I'll cleaning, but should I bleach the insides down and lime the run? What has been your experience?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    It never hurts. You never know about bacteria. Like humans with colds. You don't have to wash your hands after you shake someone's hand every time. But sooner or later you will discover you should have.

3. quercus21

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Yep,
    I was wondering about something I think is call "black head". Is this a serious problem for the turkeys?

4. ZakoHero

ZakoHero Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Algeria
    Yes it is,it can kill them so take notice.You should clean the place a lot if they are going to be meat birds because you dont want to eat bat meat.[​IMG]

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I would check with your local county extension service to see if blackhead is a problem in your area. From what I've been told/read: turkeys shouldn't be kept in areas where chickens have been. Chickens get blackhead from eating worms and turkeys get it from the poop of the chickens. Chickens don't show symptoms, turkeys can die. I was told that the winters where I am are not cold enough to kill the protazoa so turkeys are not an option for me since it has been on this property before. [​IMG]

Cleaning is great but blackhead is in the soil, which you can't sterilize. They also say, you should switch shoes between the turkey/chicken runs.

6. quercus21

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Thank you all for your replies.
    Yep, I am going to keeping the turkeys separated from the eggers and meaties. We have friends that keep their turkeys cooped with a run, and their chickens are free range with out a problem.

7. ZakoHero

ZakoHero Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Algeria
    No prob were good people![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by