Raising chickens when human immune system is comromised

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tigerlil39, Jan 20, 2009.

1. tigerlil39

tigerlil39 New Egg

Jan 20, 2009
    Oh, I so would love to have a backyard coop, but have been warned by everyone that it would hurt my lungs,(on oxygen) and they are compromised already. Is this so? Can't I keep them nice and clean and move the coop frequently?
    We love organic eggs and chickens, we also live on the Pacific Coast, so would have to deal with rain and predators. Is it possible? Thanks so much!

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Hi. I have asthma, life-threatening allergies that send me into anaphylatic shock in addtion to be fighting breast cancer. I take care of my chickens with no problems whatsoever.

All you need is a mask, you can pick up at the hardware store. 5 for $3 and good sanitary practices.

3. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Quote:Yes it is possible for you to raise them. You would just have to wear a mask with air filters on it while actively dealing with them, such as feeding, watering them. If you build a coop with a run that is stationary, then you can have someone else clean the coop out, and you can also free range your chickens in the backyard if it is fenced and you are there to supervise them.

4. Chix-in-GA

Chix-in-GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville, GA
    I think the best idea would be to ask your doctor... It would be very hard to say that you could raise chickens with your condition...not being a doctor!

This is just my opinion and I hope that you find that you can raise chickens. They are a wonderful hobby that brings a lot of joy to our lives

Good luck and I send my best wishes... [​IMG]

5. tigerlil39

tigerlil39 New Egg

Jan 20, 2009
    :DThank you all for your quick answers! I will ask my Doc again, he is from India and I don't know if he is aware of the different farming practices we have here. I would wear a mask, and gloves, hope I don't scare the little peeps, would have some for eggs and some for meat. So again thank you all, and I am sending you healing energy Coyote Magic, I am keeping my fingers crossed! I see my Doc first thing in the AM, so we shall see. Thank you all again, [​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have a compromised immune system from birth and I've been around and raised chickens all my life without any problems. Just ask your doctor to make sure.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I agree, ask your doctor. It probably depends how bad your immune system is. When I was going through chemo my doctors flipped when they found out I was in the barn collecting eggs. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by