Raising Chickens with Ringneck Doves

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ctychix, May 6, 2009.

1. ctychix

ctychix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    San Francisco East Bay
    I would like to hear from anyone that raises hens with doves. We are building a new coop and I was wondering if I could incorporate facilities to co-habitat doves with my chickens. My aunt keep trying to give me doves and they are really sweet.

2. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

I can't help but thought I would bump you up [​IMG]

3. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I used to have my lovely white doves in a pen with my colony of coturnix quail and did not have any problems at all. I decided to raise the quail on wire, so now the doves live with the peacock pheasants. No problems there either. The doves have several high roosts and their food is on a raised platforms in 2 different areas. The peacock pheasants food dish is on the ground. The peacock pheasants can and occaisionally do get up on the platform but it has not caused any problems. The pen is large - 8ft X 24ft, so they are not crowded up either.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Can`t say for sure for your breeds, but in my experience, my birds will kill and eat wild doves. My soil conditions in FL allowed my fowl to scratch out holes around the perimeter of their pens. When that happened, an occasional wild dove would enter and not be able to get out. Often I found the remains after the fact. May not be the case with yours, but I would plan to keep them seperated. Just my 2 cents.......Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by