Raising chickens

When is the best time to order chickens? It is still winter here in Wyoming

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! I've hatched out chicks in February and gotten some before. Some people like late winter when there's still freezing temps because there's not many illnesses going around. That's what some breeders have told me. I like getting them in spring but that's just me.

Depends on how long you plan to keep the chicks somewhere inside, they have to stay inside or somewhere pretty warm until they're mostly feathered (if you want good survival rates at least) so just judge according to that I suppose ^^

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Most of the feed stores and people I've talked with here in NW Montana order their chicks about mid-February. I suspect your winters there in Wyoming are similar to ours so I would think ordered them around a similar time would work well there in Wyoming as well. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

If you order from a hatchery for delivery at a different time - they get swamped with early orders and sell out fast. Feed stores generally have "chick days," you could inquire when that will be and what breeds will be available.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

Back
Top Bottom