Raising chicks and ducklings together

Chick-mama

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
Hello! I have a couple of questions.. hoping there is an easy solution or some guidance on what I should be doing 🙏🤭

I have two, 1 week old, ducks who are being raising by a hen and 6 baby chicks that hatched one day ago. My ducklings have been on grower food, which i leave out for them in the coop.. the hens are always eating this food..
They are all laying eggs.. is this bad for them?
I noticed my ducklings are now eating layer food as momma hen is taking them to it... is this bad?
My baby chicks have been eating the duck grower.. is this bad?

They are all free ranged and not separated at all... all share the same coop at night and garden during the day. Is there a food that they all could eat?
Should I be separating all of them? (😬not even sure if this is possible at this point..)

I would LOVE some guidance! First time duck momma and first time my girls have not had their chicks in a dog crate with one hen, as four of the hens are coparenting the chicks 🥰😳

Thank you!!!

Soo I guess in Canada 'All flock feeds is not a thing..
Now do I have to separate ALL the birds X amount of times during the day to feed them? Seem quite ridiculous...

You can feed them all the starter/ grower. It is very similar to an all flock. Many people with mixed flocks do this. You then need to leave crushed oyster shell on the side in a separate dish for the hens. I also crush up egg shell for hens, but I leave both for them to utilize.
Make sure the feed is non-medicated as the ducks aren't supposed to have it like the chickens. Plus, since you have ducks while they are growing you should add nutritional yeast (niacin) to the feed. It won't hurt the chickens at all. So don't worry about that. You sprinkle about 1 tablespoon per pound on. More won't hurt and I never measured when I added nutritional yeast.

You can feed them all the starter/ grower. It is very similar to an all flock. Many people with mixed flocks do this. You then need to leave crushed oyster shell on the side in a separate dish for the hens. I also crush up egg shell for hens, but I leave both for them to utilize.
Make sure the feed is non-medicated as the ducks aren't supposed to have it like the chickens. Plus, since you have ducks while they are growing you should add nutritional yeast (niacin) to the feed. It won't hurt the chickens at all. So don't worry about that. You sprinkle about 1 tablespoon per pound on. More won't hurt and I never measured when I added nutritional yeast.
THANK YOU 😊

Back
Top Bottom