Raising chicks as the weather gets cooler

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maidenwolfx80, Oct 12, 2012.

1. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I have raised many chicks, but this is the very first time for me raising chicks in the fall. My chicks are now 1 week old. I know many people raise them in fall and some even in winter but this is new to alot of people. Please share tips and tricks to a healthy fall/winter flock. I know I and many others will appreciate your wisdom.

2. highwayhens

highwayhens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    I'm excited to hear about this too. We are expecting chicks this weekend--from eggs under our broody. We haven't had a freeze yet here, but have gotten down to 34 degrees one night, and it can't be long to a freeze.

We do own a heat lamp to use if we need to.

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    It has gotten to 28 here bbrrrr. But My coop is draft free and stayed warm with all the bodies in there. I want to be able to take these little ones out to explore in their little tractor in a few weeks but I am not sure if rules of this are different in fall than in spring. Obviously you dont want to take them out in rain or windy, cold nastiness,, These little chicks are amazing me. They have full wings feathered out and tail feathers are growing very well and other areas are starting to fluff. They seem as though they are going to be a very strong healthy bunch. How many eggs is she hatching? I want to let my hens hatch their own next spring if I have someone go broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by