Raising Chicks... Do they need vaccine?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mulia24, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

hi everyone, [​IMG]

I'm will try to incubate chicken eggs again, last time I raise chicks I've hatched using incubator, they all died because of unknown(to me) disease, even the other chicken that hatched naturally also died. [​IMG]

When I contact my friend, who is the egg seller (he owns a chicken hatchery) he said that all chicks must be vaccinated in order to keep them away from disease, I told him, I've been raising chicken for more than 10 years and I never give any vaccine to all my chicken. He said that's the must to give vaccine. Unfortunately, vaccine is quite tricky, each bottle can be used up to a hundred chicks and must be used in one and half hours before the vaccine become damaged no matter what you do. While I only need vaccine for about a dozen chicks [​IMG] It seems that vaccinating chicks won't be able to be done by me. [​IMG]

so, the question is, should I vaccine the chicks (haven't even put the eggs into bator) ?

how to keep them healthy and strong against disease without vaccinating them?

I realize that the circumstance in US/Europe will be different than my homeland here though [​IMG]

thank you in advance.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm sorry but I cannot answer you question. What disease did your chicks die from? What were the symptoms? At what age? What disease is the vaccination for? There are several different possibilities and until you know what you are dealing with, it is very difficult to recommend a course of action. Vaccination, medication, or something else entirely may be called for.

I know it is frustrating. I wish you good luck!

3. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    did you feed the medicated chick starter? what disease did they have?

4. mulia24

[​IMG]

you can see that one on the right was dead. [​IMG] although now all have died [​IMG]

the problem is that I don't know what disease attack them, they were almost 15 weeks when this catastrophe happen. my friend suggest me to give about dozens vaccination to my chicken although I'm not sure what vaccine did he suggest me to give to my chicken.

yes, I did fed them chick starter but I don't know if they're medicated or not. Still no clue what disease attack them, but I've attached the picture to let you see her.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It does not sound like Cocci or Marek's. If you had raised them in a brooder separate from the flock, then they all died a few days after you introduced them to the flock I might consider cocci, but you had some that were raised with the flock that died. At least, that's the way I read this. Did they show any symptoms or just die? Did it just kill all the chicks that were 15 weeks old about when they rurned 15 weeks and not bother the others? You might look through this site to see if anything looks like it might be what killed your chicks.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. mulia24

I introduced new chicks to old flock, it's been more than 3 weeks after they met, my chicks start to die suddenly, and last my old flock died the same way the chicks die, with no sign at all. since I'm not monitoring them every hour I can't think about what have killed them... all I know is I walk to backyard, then I met the dead chick, I burn it to prevent further infection, even burn the location where he laid dead.. [​IMG] but still, one by one victim down... [​IMG]

I don't understand, I give them quite high nutritious enough feed. what's wrong with them..... and now since I've started re incubate eggs, I don't want that bad event happen again...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  7. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    When I contact my friend, who is the egg seller (he owns a chicken hatchery) he said that all chicks must be vaccinated in order to keep them away from disease, I told him, I've been raising chicken for more than 10 years and I never give any vaccine to all my chicken. He said that's the must to give vaccine. Unfortunately, vaccine is quite tricky, each bottle can be used up to a hundred chicks and must be used in one and half hours before the vaccine become damaged no matter what you do. While I only need vaccine for about a dozen chicks It seems that vaccinating chicks won't be able to be done by me

mulia24,

How awful for you. It does not sound as if you have a feed problem unless there is obvious mold in the feed. Since your existing flock was healthy, it seems as if you brought some unknown disese into your flock with the new chicks.

I see you are in Indonesia.

Is there any way you can buy healthy, vaccinated chicks from him to restart your flock?
    Then next year you could hatch your own chicks from your own new flock.

Good luck to you and I'm so sorry for your troubles.

Brenda​

8. mulia24

Quote:I don't know if they bring disease, since they're hatched by me using incubator, they must bring no disease [​IMG]

I'm not quite sure about mold, how can disease made by mold can affect the whole flock?

I can buy healthy vaccinated chicks to restart my flock but I prefer to hatch them myself since I love to see that little baby pipping and breaking the shell himself [​IMG] and I'm just set my bator last night with 30 eggs, home made bator without thermostat [​IMG] force me to take a look every couple hours.

thank you for wishing me a good luck [​IMG]

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The short answer to your question is no, chicks do not need to be vaccinated. Vaccination does not make a chick healthy, it only offers protection from the diseases covered by the vaccines. Chicks who have been vaccinated can and sadly do die from other causes and diseases.

You might be able to find out what caused the deaths of your chickens by getting a pathology report from a necropsy done on one of the dead chickens right after its death. Otherwise, you'll just be guessing.

I'm sorry for your losses.

10. mulia24

that's it, I hope if they're vaccinated then the probability of die caused by known diseases (vaccine against) can be avoided. but 1 bottle up to hundred of chicks that one I can't afford since I keep chicken for hobby and fun not business. [​IMG]

ups, pathology report? necropsy? pardon me... is that free of charge?

thank you for supporting me.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by