Raising Chicks from Cherry Eggers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cockadoodledon't, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Folks...
    I have had a group of Cherry Eggers for almost 2 years.
    I have noticed that none of them have gone "broody" during that time.
    Anyone have any experiences with this breed...or advice they would like to share.
    I would like to allow the hen to set the eggs and hatch them versus an incubator.

Thank you!

2. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Broodiness has been intensely bred out of Cherry Eggers.

For generations, all Cherry Eggers who went broody were culled, so their offspring are not likely to go broody.

Better to get a few hens of a kind known for broodiness and put Cherry Egger eggs under her for her to hatch and raise.

I had good luck with a Columbian Wyndotte pullet chick I ordered from Ideal for broodiness because the McMurray catalog said they are known for broodiness. She went broody just two or three weeks after beginning to lay. Sat the nest and was a good mother for the chicks till they got all their feathers. She went broody again afterwards about a month later.

There are other breeds that make good broodies and mothers also. Dark Cornish is one. You want a hen that will go broody, stick to the nest till they hatch, and then mother the chicks. (Mine got off for a few hours in the afternoon and it worked out fine - weather was about 85 F.)

Many say Buff Orpington, but mine never did. Depends on the strain.

3. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow...excellent post...Thank You!!
    I wondered why they didnt get broody.
    I appreciate your response! Will follow your advice.
    Thank you again!
    [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by