Raising Chicks in Republic of Panama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by panamachick, Nov 16, 2008.

1. panamachick

panamachick New Egg

Nov 15, 2008
    We have a farm in the Republic of Panama. The local farmers tell us that we need 24 hour lights to speed chick growth. Is that true?

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I dont know about speeding up the chick's growth but for baby chicks, you would need heating brooder light until they feathered out. After that you would not need to.

How old are they and what kind are they?

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    We love members from new places. Tell us about your birds, coops, etc. Welcome!

4. panamachick

panamachick New Egg

Nov 15, 2008
    We don't know what kind of chicks they are. The Panamaians breed them locally with no additional heat as chicks...it's 80-100 degrees in Panama. We are keeping in mind that the man who told us this doesn't have electric light and had heard this from other sources but never tried it himself. These chickens are for eating and laying...nothing fancy...we'll try and find out the breed.
    Thanks
    Panamachick

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Please keep us posted. Do you have any pictures?

6. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    [​IMG]
    My SIL's family lives down there! Looking forward to a visit someday, myself!

I just realized, you'll probably never get a slow down in egg production since you have such a constant year round day/night cycle!! Lucky!

7. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    So glad you joined us. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Bienvenido a BYC!

The only part of Panama that I know is the airport... I've landed there at least 3 times going north and south between here and Ecuador.

9. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Dear Panama Chick,

Here in Hawaii, our climate is pretty similar to yours, just the Summer high temps are lower. I keep a heat lamp on my brooder to insure that trade winds donʻt cool it off too much and to help keep the pine shaving litter dry. What I do see happening is that my chick feather out quickly and want to begin roaming much sooner than I would expect from my Midwestern farm experience.

If enough members are interested, we should start a thread on raising chicks in the tropics. The topic isnʻt covered by any of the books and the local USDA office just hands out the same literature they print for Nebraska!

Aloha!

10. Steve52

Steve52 New Egg

Oct 11, 2009
    St. Thomas
    I think a tropics section would be a good idea. I'm just getting started: getting my first hatching eggs this week! I live on St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. Warm all year round here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by