raising chicks in shed coop question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueseal, Apr 21, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    does anyone keep there chicks say 6 weeks old to 18 weeks in the coop without outside access. will they be alright staying inside. i have 17 in all and i am divideing my 10x12 coop half for chicks half for 10 adult flock.

2. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    They will be alright, dont let the adults in the same area with them yet and depending where you live you might want to make sure you have a heat lamp out there too.

3. Sylvie72

Sylvie72 Out Of The Brooder

Where I live it is still cool out, and my chicks have been out in their insulated coop since they are 1 1/2 weeks old. There are two 250W heat lamps in there for them on all day and all night, and they are just thriving.

I would leave heat lamp on if its cold out. They should be just fine!

4. Tricia's Triple Z

Tricia's Triple Z Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2007
    That is the same setup as I have. Mine have been out since they were 4 weeks old. The have 1/2 of a large coop with a mesh/screen door in between them. I will not let them in with the big girls for a while. This week I am building an outside pen. just my.02

5. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

We kept our brooder out in the coop from day one...with heat of course...then [​IMG] when the little buggers out grew the brooder sooooo fast!! [​IMG] .....we made a temporary pen for them still, with the heat lamp...
    They did just fine...Then, today we took out the temp pen and let them have full access the the 8x8 coop and with the heat lamp..they are happy as they can be. And they are 3 weeks old today. Since the weather is warming up we were able to do this sooner then planned.
    Good luck with your little ones!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by