Raising chicks in the snowy Yukon Territory north of 60

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Trapper Dan, May 13, 2011.

1. Trapper Dan

Trapper Dan Out Of The Brooder

We received 163 day old chick yesterday afternoon on the Air North flight up from Edmonton to the snowy Yukon and all of them made the journey except for one turkey that had a bummed leg. This season we're set up with a nice wood heated workshop and heat lamps so they're really liking the warmth compared to outside this morning. There's an inch of fresh snow on the ground and it's the middle of May so I'm glad we have a place for them that will keep them warm and healthy. I put together a video showing off their new digs and I'll finish up the video on their new house and post it later on the forum. This is my first post on BYC [​IMG] but it doesn't allow me to post my link to my video. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hey there! [​IMG]

You can't post pics or videos until you have ten posts. I upload all my stuff to photobucket, it's easier. Just reply to the welcome posts and you'll have 10 in no time.

You are a stronger person than I am. If I had an inch of snow on the ground right now I'd probably cry, lol! But then again, it feels like all the snow JUST melted here, so...

Again, welcome! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. Trapper Dan

Thanks for the warm welcome, and hopefully warmer weather [​IMG] This will give me some time to get the rest of my chicken videos together and when I get 10 posts I'll be ready to share them. Thanks for letting me know how this works. Enjoy the sunshine in your neck of the woods.

Cheers

Dan

4. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My MIL once visited Yellow Knife and brought back a mosquito. The thing was HUGE. About 3 times the size of the ones we have here.

So is your growing season like... 2 weeks? [​IMG]

5. Trapper Dan

Believe it or not it's around 90 days but there's so much sunlight that the sun hardly ever sets so it really works out to be about 6 months of heat and light. We're around 18 hrs a day right now and about 22 in another few weeks. When it does set the sky just glows for a few hours and the sun pops back up. Put the three "W's" in front of this link to check it out. I still can't post a link timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=679 We lost a turkey due to a bad leg and another chicken and turkey got smothered yesterday so we put the lights down to 16 inches and more wood in the wood stove. I made up a video that I'd like to post and will once I get clearance on BYC but it you'd like to see it you can find it on my YouTube channel searching under MrDanielHalen. It's nice sunny day today so I'm out the door to get busy around the place.

BTW we no longer sell bug spray up here, just parachutes. The mosquitoes are so big they pick you up and drop you so you need a chute. [​IMG]

Cheers

Dan

6. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Ha! I believe it. [​IMG]

That link was pretty cool. Sorry you lost the birds.

To post a link, I paste the link, highlight it, then click on the word-link button. For pics I upload them to photobucket, then copy the direct link that it gives you, then highlight it and click the IMG button. Maybe that'll work... like so!

www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=679

You just have to make sure there are no spaces before or after the link. And make sure you add a space before and after the img and link tags. That can trick you up. Good luck in the tundra!

7. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had enough snow for the year. It's snowing as I post this. We have a heat lamp for the chickens onlly [We close their pen at night]. The the horses and goats seem to keep warn at night. We had spring here for a week or more hope it comes back.

The snow sometimes causes trouble with the electric fence, the fence is needed for the bear.

Do you have problems with bear where you are?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by