Raising Chicks In The Winter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mossy_oak23, Nov 17, 2009.

1. mossy_oak23

mossy_oak23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Say one of your hens goes broody and sits on a fertilized egg and ends up hatching it in the winter. Will it die because of the cold? I for one think that the whole temperature as chicks things is over rated. I only had mine around 85 degrees from day one and all 6 are still truckin today!! That being said I live in canada and stationary temperatures can get to the -20's pretty easily. WIll the chicks be guranteed frozen if she does hatch in the winter months?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, nothing is guaranteed in life (except death and taxes of course). And I would think it would depend on your coop situation. Is your coop insulated? Are you doing deep litter? Is your coop flimsy or drafty? The list goes on... I know the mama (assuming she's a good one) would do her best to protect them from the cold, but at that time of year and in your area, she can only do so much. If you don't have a really solid coop, could she be housed in a garage or something that is more weather protected??? I'm taking it this is merely a hypothetical????

3. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My experience has been if the chicks are able to get away from the mother for a period on a cool spring night, they are pretty much doomed. We lost a bunch of chicks from our first hatch one March. The babies moved far enough away from Mama that they didn't get back before they got too cold. As a result, we cage our broodies with their babies if it's too early in spring or into summer/fall. Not the best thing I grant, but it keeps them alive.

4. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    Can she have a heat lamp to help her out? Indoor coop? Lots of hay? Ive got chicks in the brooder also and rapidly making them their own place! must...move...faster!!! [​IMG]

5. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    i put my broodies with baby's in the garage in an area i have set up for winter baby's: three large cardboard containers like pumpkins are sold in, and heat lamps. i line them with plastic sheeting, lots of straw and a deep bed of shavings. the food and water bowls sit on sturdy trays so no dripping of water into the bedding.i try to only put one momma with chicks into each box and if i'm in a pinch for space, i'll divide one large one for two banty's.

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    If you let nature take its course, Mama can take care of chicks in winter, as long as they have a dry, draft free place, that has a place mama can snuggle down in and make a nest (straw, wood shavings) to keep the babies warm, Ive had broodies raise chicks many time in winter, my rule is if mama hatches them she broods them. unfrozen water, high protein feed and a good hen is all you need, mine are in the barn without anything special

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by