Raising Chicks in warm weather

CoolClucker

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Indiana USA
Hello. I wasn't able to order my chicks until now, and the temps are getting warm where I live. The brooder will be in the garage, which is insulated, so I'm thinking it'll be ok but to be safe I wanted to check. Should I just buy lower wattage bulbs or is there anything special one needs to do when raising chicks later in the year? Temps are about mid sevenites here, but we do have a couple days a week it pushes to lower eighties. Like I said, garage is insulated, so I'm thinking it's about 60 ish in there? Thanks !
smile.png

You could buy the standard wattage heat lamp bulbs but hang the light above the brooder area on a chain so you can raise or lower it depending on the temperature around the chicks. 60's is too low for new babies, so they will still need the heat lamp. With the temps rising right now you will need to check it throughout the day and night to keep it within the right temp range.

I bought an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer and keep it by my bedside, with the outdoor sensor in the coop. This way I always know the temperature inside the coop without having to go outside to read a thermometer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom