Raising chicks on sand?

crash0330

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Mecca, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Ive heard that sand soaks up the odor, so I was wondering it itd be ok to put sand on the brooders instead of pine shavings. Anybody has tried this?

Dont know but would like too, was thinking about trying the same thing here. Sand is free and shavings arnt
wink.png

As Far As Brooding I Cant Say, But Many Fesent Folks (
smile.png
) Keep Their Rare Ornimentals On Sand... They Will Dig Out The Top Soil Of The Pen And Replace With Play Sand.... Drains Better, Harder For Parasites To Become A Problem And Can Be Cleaned Easily. I Have Also Seen Buttons In Aquariums With Sand As A Substrate...

Quote:
Well out of 30 eggs I got from a guy only about 15 weren't cracked and out of those 9 hatched and one died yesturday! I think a lot had to do with my incubator cuz the last chick hatched on day 27 so that's really late and most of the other ones hatched on day 25.

I just put my little gamble chicks on sand yesturday and seems like they don't mind at all, and it makes a huge difference with the smell, cuz when you mix poop pine shavings feed and water it gives and pretty bad smell, but sand seems to soak up the water and the smell. But like I said I just put them in yesturday. I have to wait see if everything goes ok with the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom