1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising chicks or getting older hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rugznjones, Feb 18, 2013.

1. rugznjones

rugznjones Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    My husband wants older laying hens and I think we should start
    out with chicks? What's some pros and cons?

2. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Older laying hens, Pros: Eggs now, immunity should be built up for disease if purchased locally. Cons: Honestly, can't think of any other than not seeing those cutie pie chicks grow up..... Oh, you will need an established coop right away.
    Chicks: Pros: Super fun, don't take up much space for a couple of weeks, time to build/get the coop if don't have one already. Cons: 5-7 mos. before eggs depending on breed, immunities not built up yet so may be some losses, need a heat source for 4- 6 weeks till fully feathered. All I can come up with right now :)

3. rugznjones

rugznjones Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    I worry about the longivity of the egg laying process? How long do hens lay eggs for?

4. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Hatchery birds usually burn out after about 2 years but lay lots of eggs. A nice heritage type from a breeder will lay fewer eggs per week but lay for 3 - 5 years. A lot depends on the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by