Raising chicks - Queensland, Australia

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RooChick, Nov 27, 2016.

1. RooChick

RooChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I should raise chicks or purchase pullets.
    I would like to raise chicks, but I’m getting confused about temperatures and all that kind of thing.

I live in Queensland, Australia and would like to raise them either outdoors in the coop with a section blocked off which would be draft free, or indoors in our spare room with the window open for ventilation.
    The temperatures at my place drop to about 15°C / 59°F at night and have been getting to about 30°C - 35°C / 86°F - 95°F during the day.

I went to the produce store on the weekend and they have chicks running around in cages with no heat source in sight.
    They looked comfortable and weren’t huddling together, however they just had a couple of feathers on their wings, so they were probably a bit older than “day old” chicks ?

I was wondering if I could get away with running a heat lamp just during the night ?
    Or maybe for the first week, run the heat lamp during the day and night, then for the weeks after that, just at night ?
    Also. if I drop the temperature by 5°C / 9°F every week, by week 5 I won’t need to have it on at all as this would be the temperature outside.

I have read about the heat pad idea, but I’m finding it hard to find / expensive, so a heat lamp is looking like the way to go for me at the moment, so any help from anyone who has raised them in these temperatures would be great.

Thanks.

Jo [​IMG]

2. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hello fellow Aussie!
    I have recently hatched 7 baby silkie bantams in Melbourne without too much trouble - I couple died sadly of what we think was thirst because they couldn't find the water on a kinda hot day (insert ashamed parent emoji here). However the other five are growing up well. We didn't have a heat lamp or anything - reliable silkie mum did the job instead. Ours are getting wing feathers now too and don't seem too bothered about heat - of course they sleep under mum at night but I reckon if you get yours with some wing feathers they should be alright in that weather.
    - Sunny
    P.S. :welcome

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I use a heat lamp and enjoy the control that it gives me. I like to raise chicks when the temperatures are warmer so I only use the heat lamp for about a week during the day, than they are outside during the day getting some sunshine. I run the heat lamp at night until it is warm enough not to need it. My chicks thrive and it is simple.

So get some chicks and initially adjust your lamp so they are comfortably spread out. I start at 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit for the first week and lower it by about 5 a week until the brooder temperature is the same as the ambient temperature. Easy, cheap, and over quickly.

1 person likes this.
  4. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.

Couldn't have said it better myself - but in the hot weather of Queensland make sure they don't overheat!

1 person likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great advice from oldhen. Do not raise them inside unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. The dust and mess they create is unbelievable.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Thank you. I never raise mine in the house, I have a shed and a wooden box brooder out in my shed. I also use a 5 gallon bucket set on it's side when I put my chicks outside, it works as solar powered heat source. Always provide shade too so they can choose.

7. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.

Ooohhh yes. We have experience with that with quails. Crazy mess the tiny things make.

8. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.

Sounds like a good plan :)

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

These chicks are less than a week of age and already enjoying the sunshine. I also forgot to mention i use a 125 watt bulb. The 250 are much too hot.

10. SunflowerTheBun

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.

Beautiful chicks!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by