Raising Chicks vc. Ducks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rgcamire, Feb 24, 2015.

1. rgcamire

rgcamire New Egg

Oct 21, 2014
    About 10 weeks ago I got 25 chicks from a hatchery. In the first week, we lost only 1. About a week ago, we lost the runt during a cold streak. Otherwise, we still have 23 of the 25 left after 10 weeks.

Last week, we got 25 ducks shipped. One was dead upon arrival, one had a crooked neck, we have lost two since and are at 22 only a week in.

We are doing basically the same thing to raise the ducks as we did with the chicks. The only thing difference is the hatchery we bought them from.

This is my question:
    Which experience is more normal? Did I get a bad batch with the ducks? Pick the wrong hatchery? Or did we just luck out with the chicks?

This is my first time raising chicks or ducks and while I expect some deaths, I don't really know what is considered normal. I also thought ducklings were supposed to be more resilient than chicks.

Thanks!

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I have had more hens get sick,or even attacked,but survive.Ducks aren't tough,nor are their immune systems as good as most chickens.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Ducks tend to be harder to raise than chickens, so I believe that's normal.

4. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    Ducks are super easy, we rarely lose a duckling. Chicks seem to drop for no reason but haven't lost more than a couple ducklings in the last couple years,And it was usually before hatching. Ducklings are sturdy little buggers, we have only lost 2 in shipping from the hatchery out of 4 orders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by