Raising Chicks w/ Mama Hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Feb 12, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year we bought all of our chickies from hatcheries, so raising them was easy: chick feed, brooder box, viola eggs 18 weeks later. Right now I have a broody on 2 eggs due to hatch on the 16th, and I'm going to get a few more chicks next weekend to put with mama. Now I have no clue what I'm doing!!

Where should I keep mama and her babies? What should I feed everyone? I have mam eating layer feed, but figure the babies will need chick starter? I'd love any advice!!

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I have never put other chicks with a mom before so I won't be much help on that part. As far as a momma hen and her cheeps, do they free range or are they in a coop all the time? Mine free range and momma shows the babies what eating while free ranging is all about. Baby cheeps have been raised this way by hens for centuries. I keep momma penned for a few days until all of the chicks have hatched and are ready to go out and I put chick starter where the cheeps can get it and eat it and I put layer feed in a feeder that they can't reach. I don't worry if momma eats the chick starter, my opion is that it is just for a short time and mom could probably use it after sitting for 3 weeks. (But that is just my opinion) Also make sure you put a waterer that is low enough for the cheeps to drink from. For me I enjoy letting the hens raise the young, it's less work and they learn so much from momma. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. mylilchix

Thanks for the advice!! The hens don't free range because we live in an area with lots o prey, unfortunately. I have a dog crate out in the coop right now for my naughty alpha chicken who's currently on time out. [​IMG] I was thinking of putting mama in there for awhile with food and water for everyone. She's also hatching eggies at a time when the CO weather has gotten very cold. I was thinking of keeping them in the house for a bit so the chicks get a good start.

Sonja

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I think the dog crate would work great. I would bring them inside also if it is cold out.

5. mylilchix

Mama is in a crate in the basement right now. I think I may keep her there until the weather warms up a bit. We've gone from 50s and 60s outside to 20s and 30s. Yuck!!

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by