Raising chicks with bunnies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcaced, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mcaced

mcaced New Egg

Dec 27, 2009
    We are looking into getting a few chickens this Spring, as pets and for the eggs. We currently have two bunnies that live in an outdoor 15 foot by 15 foot fenced enclosure with an attached house which measures approx. 5 feet wide by 6 feet tall. The bunnies don't use the house (they prefer to sleep under it). I was wondering, with some modifications, if I could raise my chicks in the enclosure with the bunnies. Do these animals typically get along? Are there any diseases that either animals could get that would pass to the other? Any info would be appreciated!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I tried to raise rabbits in with my pheasants. Everyone got along, but the bunny-digging nearly destroyed the pen.[​IMG]

3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    That sounds fine to me. How would you do the food? Our rabbits and chickens get along fine, and the chicks would be able to grow up with the rabbits, so they wouldn't be terrified. Although, we do have a rabbit that chases the chickens... [​IMG]

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    no don't do it. It's a common misconception that they can live together..

5. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Why? Care to explain?

I don't see why not. As long as there's no fighting and you can seperate their foods somehow, it sounds like you can pull it off.

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Bunnies and chickens share the same form of cocci. One can infect the other. They shouldn't have contact with the other one's poop.

7. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine seem to do fine together. My rabbit sleeps under my Buff Orpington when it gets cold out.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Rabbits are quite sensitive to cocci. Alot of chickens would also peck at rabbits and possibly injure them. Rabbits have accidentally killed other animals with their strong hindlegs. If rabbits eat chicken food they could die and at minimum it would be very unhealthy. Rabbits should have unlimited hay or grass to eat which is fine for chickens (although some disagree) but could be bad for chicks and the chickens will scatter it and poop on it. As a general rule mixing species is bad. It always increases the risk of accidents or problems even if it sometimes works out.

9. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I've had mine housed together for over a year now and they do fine. I did have to seperate one rabbit for a little while though because she had a small injury that the chickens would peck at and made worse so needed to let that heal but other than that they've gotten long well. Sounds like you are planning the same set-up I already have (A dog run enclosure with coop attached).

10. mcaced

mcaced New Egg

Dec 27, 2009
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies- I wasn't sure I'd get any. I did find some other info about mixing rabbits with chickens on this website and they say that cocci is breed specific, that rabbits can't give it to chickens and visa versa. I think I'll check with my vet just to be sure. Does anyone know if there's a vaccine for it? Thanks again for all your input, I appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by