Raising chicks ( with feathered feet )

John Chicken GB

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Great Britain
roll.png
My ten day old Lemon milleur sable poots seem to be unhappy with their rapidly growing feathers on their feet. They hold each foot up in turn almost as if either in pain or bewilderment ? I have an incling that if I snipped them off now they might be happier about their situation . However , I must have the all clear to go ahead before I take such drastic measures ? Any ideas , Anyone ?

please DON'T clip them. feathers bleed. a lot. she isn't in any pain or even uncomfortable, she just is curious about her feet and is lifting them up to examine them. lots of feather footed chicks do that when thier feathers start growing in. it would hurt her a lot to cut them off. feathers aren't like our hair, each one is blood filled and can be controled in groups to raise and lower by the chicken. they are much more a part of the bird than hair is to us. there are very few cases in which feathers should be cut off, pretty much only if an injury is hidden by them that the birds owner needs to get to. birds with feathered feet wouldn't be born like that if it hurt them. she'll get used to them, believe me.

oh, welcome to byc by the way! don't worry, there is a lot to know about chickens, all of us have been in your position as a newbie!

Last edited:
i havn't had any, no, but feather footed breeds all do the sort of thing you discribed. no matter what the breed, feather trimming is a bad idea.

do you have a picture of her? i love that breed
droolin.gif

Quote:
What r these? I have never heard the name and tried to do google search and just got LEMON recipes! LOL Can u post pics of them? I'm a newbie, btw...so I don't know these, but I love the feathered footed breeds!

Quote:
What r these? I have never heard the name and tried to do google search and just got LEMON recipes! LOL Can u post pics of them? I'm a newbie, btw...so I don't know these, but I love the feathered footed breeds!

Here is a link to some Sablepoots, The Booted Bantam or Dutch Booted Bantams in the United Kingdom http://www.bellebantams.co.uk/Booted-Bantams.html

I
hope the link works in the US.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with the others. I personally wouldn't cut them. My Pekin chicks are short and stubby and, because of the feathering, their feet are wider than their bodies. They still get around really well and manage to run around bumping into everyone else (They love chest bumping everyone and everything. It is adorable!).

Back
Top Bottom