Raising Chicks With Mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andrew6d9, Apr 25, 2011.

1. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to raise chickens with their mother hen helping raise them. I wish to either remove the hen with her eggs or let them in with the other buff orpingtons. I just do not know how to eggectly(lol) raise chicks other than in the house from peeps without there mom. Thanks for the replies:)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    I use plastic pet carriers as nest boxes. When a hen goes broody I can easily move the hen and nest to a separate area in the coop about 3 days before the anticipated hatch. The hen and chicks have their own space, food and water. After a couple of days, or longer depending on the weather, the hen and chicks go into an outside daytime pen. Over night, they continue to have a separate area in the coop. I try to keep this up for at least a couple of weeks, or until it seems the little family can be merged with the rest of the flock.

In the past, this has worked well for me. However a young hen with her first hatchling recently had other ideas. She hatched one chick and doted on it for about three weeks. Then she disowned it, and even pecked at it. The mother hen rejoined the flock and wants nothing to do with the little one. It is warm here so I haven't needed to use a brooder, but do keep the chick separate.

4. andrew6d9

andrew6d9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the information. I was just thinking about putting them in my old inguana cage which is pretty large. About 3 feet high, 2 and a half feet wide and 3 feet wide the other way. Would that be alright?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by