Raising chicks with momma

Jeremy007

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2017
duvall, WA
I recently got chicks with 2 different broody hens, they are in separate areas with their chicks as of now. My question is whether i can put both mommas and their chicks in the same pen without any issues, and if so is there a certain age for the chicks. The first batch are like 2ish weeks older than the second.

From what i have read, sometimes it works but other times the respective mothers will kill chicks that are not theirs.

As for chicks - a 2 week age discrepancy becomes less of an issue with age. Day old chicks, competing for food with 2 week old chicks would not be the best, but 4 week old and 6 week olds, for example, would likely pose less of an issue.

Honestly at 1-2 weeks you should be able to start integrating the hens and chick back to the flock, as long as all goes well. If thier pens are close though maybe you could open then up to each other so the 2 hens and each of thier chicks can explore with thier own safe place to return too.

Mamas really only need to be separated from the flock if others are pecking at her or harassing her in the nest, though i know some people like the safety and convinance of separating. Less chance of egg damage, not having to check and collect from broodies, safe space for the chicks. But when possible keeping the mamas at least near the flock is also great, rather in the run or just outside the run fencing off a small area for mama to start raising her chicks keeps everyone as 1 flock then you slowly allow mama more time each day to bring the chicks into the main run.

Having a lot of experience with hen-rearing chicks and lots of resources to go with it, I suggest you keep the hens separated this round. Later as you get more familiarity with rearing broods, you can experiment with reduced risk of causing negative impacts on chicks.

Having a lot of experience with hen-rearing chicks and lots of resources to go with it, I suggest you keep the hens separated this round. Later as you get more familiarity with rearing broods, you can experiment with reduced risk of causing negative impacts on chicks.

Describe your pen with respect to dimensions. Can you put a partition in it?

I have been giving each of my broody hens about 100 square feet to rear chicks and most of those also get free-range time. A more recent approach I am trying to refine involves transferring brood with hen to rabbit pens where I run 6 broods in parallel. The broods are close together while in the pens but they disperse widely when free-ranging. Pens greatly reduce conflict but getting birds in each night needs to be done more by chickens rather than me. That is part I am working on. It is particularly as birds go to roost that hen conflicts cause problems that concern me most.

Last edited:
Personally I have never had any issues with Broody Hens and Chicks....I have integrated two separate hatches...Momma Hens protect their Chicks...I introduce as the others free range....All you have to do is give it a try....

I have 2 broodies that are sitting on 5 eggs each. This is our first rodeo with broodies. They are both in the main coop at the moment, eggs due to hatch in about 3-4 days. The coop is kinda high up. Previously, we had enclosed the bottom for a separate area and it has housed new babies (including the two aforementioned gals). We plan to re-enclose the area this weekend and move both groups "downstairs" so to speak. My question is: since these two have gone through this entire process together, do you all think it is still a safe plan to have them together immediately after hatch?

I recently got chicks with 2 different broody hens, they are in separate areas with their chicks as of now. My question is whether i can put both mommas and their chicks in the same pen without any issues, and if so is there a certain age for the chicks. The first batch are like 2ish weeks older than the second.
If the two hens shared a nesbox and laid eggs together, they might brood together. It is a bit risky though.

Mom's will abandon the chicks at about 5 or 6 weeks old--it might be best to wait until then to combine the chicks since the mom's will be out of the picture

Back
Top Bottom