Raising Chicks with Other Animals

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by [email protected], Mar 27, 2012.

1. johnrnewman@suddenlink.ne

[email protected] New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    Texas
    Are there any animals that can be raised in the run with my chickens? Someone told me that it was safe for rabbits to be in the run with them. I have a large run (about 500 sq feet for my birds to run in. I would like to maximize the use of the area for them and others that would get along with them.

2. NCnarrator

NCnarrator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I've heard that rabbits can be kept with chickens, but I don't think I would do it for a few reasons:

1. Rabbits have extremely powerful legs, and all it would take is one good kick to a chicken for a broken leg or wing, or worse.

2. Rabbits also have very large, very sharp teeth. They will use them if they get backed into a corner and feel threatened (I have unfortunate reason to know), and those teeth do a LOT of damage.

3. Chickens can do a fair bit of damage themselves, what with sharp beaks, powerful wings, and nails attached to strong feet.

The thing is, you might have them together forever and never have a problem (and there are probably people who have), but IF there is a problem, it's going to be a big expensive one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by