Raising Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kjfrogster41, Aug 1, 2011.

1. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    My four girls turned 1 week today. They are out in their play pen during the day with a shady area to hide in if sun gets too much. Today they discovered how yummy Japanese beetles are. I wondered if I should limit how many they eat per day? Also, they are still sleeping indoors (in a pen) with a brood light on at night. How much longer do they need that extra heat? How old should they be when they can stay outdoors in their chicken coop and hen house at night?[​IMG]:jumpy

2. prostock198

prostock198 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Most breeds need to stay 85 degrees at the age you stated. You can back the temp down 5 degrees each week until you get to 70, or they are fully feathered. Each breed varies on the temp they like.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I keep a heat lamp on them for 5 to 6 weeks.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This depends entirely upon the ambient air temps. It has been sooooo hot in most places that no heat in needed during the day. A wee bit at night to keep them from getting cold, should your over night lows dip into the 60's.

They need this kind of treatment until they approach 5 weeks of age and have some feathering out. After that, they won't want any added heat, unless we get a really frigid Labor Day weekend. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by