raising chicks :)!

clifford258

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Greeneville,TN
I am getting interested im raising chicks like letting my girls hatch them and everything. Now can someone explain thw process do i put a roo and hen in seperate pin do i need to put the roo amd all hens together Help!!! :)

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Some hens will go broody and others never do. There are some breeds that are more likely to go broody and raise chicks. No need to separate the hens unless they do go broody.

put all your hens with the rooster. make sure you have a breed of hen that will go broody such as; silkies, cochins, and orpingtons. those are just the basics make sure if she goes broody you have a separate nest that the others cant lay in she should always have food and water. she should get off the nest 1 time every day to stretch and take a dust bath. I would keep her with the rest of the flock but if you have any trouble when the chicks hatch separate her you dont need to do any thing just make sure she has food and water. i would put sugar in her water to prevent serious weight loss. feed her chick starter feed the chicks as well.

Back
Top Bottom