Raising Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rigo941, Aug 25, 2014.

1. rigo941

rigo941 New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    hi i need help i have lot's of chickens but i need help with my baby chicks they will be out of my incubator in a week have a brooder set up with a head lamp water food.my question is how long shut i kip the chicks in the brooder and how long shut i move them to the rest of the chickens thank you for your help

2. CalebKrohn23

CalebKrohn23 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    I have read that you should keep chicks in a brooder up to five weeks. You also shouldn't introduce them to the flock until they are 16+ weeks. You could probably introduce them whenever you want as long as you allow the other chickens to get used to them.

3. jessietacos

jessietacos Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    I did six weeks until they are outside, but be paced and cautious when introducing the chickens

4. Bean789

Bean789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Spring Hill, FL
    I have had some people tell me that 2 different flocks will never get along while others have perfectly integrated their flocks even with hens a few years older than the chicks they incorporated. Almost all of them have stated that they kept them separate until the baby chicks were at least 16 weeks old and then put them where they can see each other for at least a month or more before they were formally introduced and all 'cooped' together. One person stated that after 4 weeks of separate 'introduction' she 'snuck the younger ones' into the coop at night while the others were sleeping. Less hassle when they all wake up together.

I am not experienced as yet in the incorporation but I would think that throwing the babes into the same area with the older hens might lead to some kind of injury or death to the smaller ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by