Raising Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dr1939, Sep 5, 2014.

1. dr1939

dr1939 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2012
    Hello, I am completely new at raising chicks. I had a broody chicken and got three eggs from a friend and she hatched them out. My friend gave me some starter food for them.
    My question is how long should I continue to feed them the starter food and when should I give them something else and what should I give them. Can they have something like mealyworms or oatmeal or ??????. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Starter is fine. It is also fine for the mama, or for the whole flock if you are raising them in with the flock. In that case, just put out a little oyster shell for the laying hens in a separate container.

Treats are OK, too, if you don't give them pieces too big for them to handle; remember, they swallow things whole. Try not to upset the nutritional balance of their feed too much; maybe hold treats down to 10% of their daily diet. You can also feed them grower when a few weeks old, or you can feed the whole flock a flock raiser feed in a few weeks. As long as chicks under 18 weeks don't gt any layer feed it's all good.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by