Raising Comets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ritag, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Ritag

Ritag Hatching

Mar 8, 2012
    Liberty, NY
    I have 6 Comets - 3 red and 3 golden. This is my third time raising backyard chickens. I got them as chicks last March and I have gotten really close to them. My last flock were Rhode Island Reds and the rooster always came after us. I didn't know it but Comets are very docile and produce A LOT of eggs. I sell my eggs to friends and they are always commenting on the great taste and freshness. These are people who only buy organic eggs like I used to. I treat my chickens very well and I often feed them fruits and veggies (always organic). My 4 year old son loves petting them and helping me care for them. I do notice that a couple of the hens seem upset when I collect the eggs. When that happens I get them at a later time. I also notice that they appear to "yell at me" when I feed them. I think they expect fruit everyday, which I don't always have. I would recommend chicken raising to anyone. It is very therapetic and I love when people rave about the quality of my eggs. I truly believe my good treatment of them is a big part. I really enjoy taking care of them and I talk to them when I'm with them.

2. Kittyf

Kittyf Songster

It sounds lovely! Please post pics of your Comets - I would love to see them!

Kate

3. shober

shober Songster

Aug 8, 2011
    I agree with you Ritag, as I'm in the same situation. I have a mixed flock though. I have 5 barred rocks, 6 production reds, 3 black stars and 1 buff opington. I give many treats... a cabbage every week, I just roll it in there and they devour it. Grapes, any leftover pasta. They never talk to me when I gather eggs. They always want treats though! It is a great experience, especially if you have little ones!

4. Ritag

Ritag Hatching

Mar 8, 2012
    Liberty, NY
    Thanks Shober for the treat tips! I never realized that fruits and veggies could be treats for them, I just fead my chickens what my family eats because it is healthy. After 6 months on layer pellets though they started kicking it out because they wanted treats instead. I switched them to grower/finisher on the suggestion of another chicken raiser. Also, my chickens DEVOUR broccoli and escarole. I have a concord grape vine and in the fall and they go insane for those. I want to add to my flock this spring and may go back to RIRs. I have read a lot of diff opinions on their personalities. What do you think?

5. Ritag

Ritag Hatching

Mar 8, 2012
    Liberty, NY
    Will do! They are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by