raising cornish crosses?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by abigalerose, Sep 17, 2016.

1. abigalerose

abigalerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    Im highly considering switching my dogs to a raw diet (If anyone here has done that feel free to tell me more about it) and I'm thinking, since I have adequate space and building for plenty of chickens, why not raise my own meat for them? Problem is I'm bad at math, so can anyone tell me how much it'd cost me to raise 50 Cornish X chicks? What about 100?
    I just need to know the cost of buying the chicks and the cost of feed. I've already got proper housing, etc.
    also, how long will chicken stay good in a deep freeze for? (don't make fun of me for asking, I have chickens but I don't actually eat chicken very often, unless I go out). Thanks in advance!

2. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    There will be some variance but here's the calculations I've been using.

$2 per chick. Readily available around here for that price.

I use the 2:1 feed conversion, which might be a little ambitious but as an outline it works.

So, if you want to butcher at six pounds, figure 12 pounds of feed per chick, and divide that out by whatever the feed you plant to use costs. I.e. $14 feed / 50 lbs = $.28 per pound, $.28 x 12 = $3.36 per bird.

That math would mean it will cost roughly $5.36 per bird in feed and chick cost to raise the birds to six pound live weight, about $.90 per pound. Around $268 for 50 birds.

The other thing you'll need to consider is how you plan to process. If you're going to pluck, that's slot of work or a semi-significant investment. Though for dog food you could probably skin then and avoid most of that.

How long will it keep? Dang near forever if you invest in a vacuum sealer. I had three year old venison last week that his gotten buried and didn't show the first signs of freezer burn.

3. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Thank you! That's very helpful

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Another way to go might be to keep an eye on CL and look for free or cheap roosters. Lots of folks seem happy to give them away. Not CX, but dual purpose birds that are plenty big enough to butcher. We had a member here a few years ago who did very well feeding her family that way.

1 person likes this.
  5. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Ah that is a good idea!

6. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    Is it possible/okay to cut down on feed costs by feeding table scraps?

7. Hay Belly

Hay Belly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    How are you going to get your chickens to the food bowl?

8. abigalerose

Feb 22, 2016
    What do you mean?

9. Hay Belly

Hay Belly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sorry, I meant are you butchering them and how much do the supplements cost you are going to ad to give them a balanced diet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by