raising cx in the summer?

mommy9994

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
central VA
I'm VERY tempted to do this. I've been watching how disinterested the turkeys are with their food, and more interested in picking geen things and chasing bugs, and also all the great fruit/veggie scraps that can be fed! All adds up to less $$ on feed. On top of that, Meyer had cx's on sale 20% off yesterday! I didn't buy, but I'm really thinking about doing it if they are on sale again next week. I'm just worried about the heat. We do have a very nice oak grove that the birds like to hang out in during the day-- it stays pretty cool. We had some friends have a lot die on them last summer, but theirs are tactored-- I'm thinking that with mine free, they won't get so over heated. I would be processing in August though... Thoughts? If Meyer goes up to 30% next week, it's a no brainer!!

I raise cx's all summer here in East Tn. This week the weather has been in the 90's Mine are semi free range. I make sure to give them lots of shade and water. The only time I had some die was last year when they all got under a small shed I had, The ones in the middle didn't get cool air and died. It was very sad. I do about 25 to 50 birds on a 4 week rotation. I forget to see where you live but I think you should be fine.

If you have any more questions, just send me a pm or reply here.

Good Luck

Nick

I'm in central VA-- I'm thinking our temps are about the same. We are enjoying:lol: our heatwave. It was about 100 on Saturday, I'm hoping that itsn't indicative of what the summer is going to be. We usually only get a couple days like that a year in August.

Ya I had to work the farm this weekend. Not fun at all. I think you should be fine. Esp if you free range them. They will find a way out of the heat.

Btw I didn't know about Meyer, I just checked them out and order 50 of their fry special. 51 cents a piece. That is nuts. Ideal and McMurry want 1.10 or something like that. Thanks for giving me a new place to shop.

Good Luck

Nick

Meyer is great! The cx are less than $1! That's why I'm so tempted by the %20 off! 50 cx's for $32!! WOOHOO!

I ordered 25 of thier cx, they sent 26 (every order, they've sent me 1 extra). I only lost 2 early on, 1 because he went out in the rain:rolleyes: I don't think he was doing so well anyhow, he was already "on watch", and another at 4 weeks due to a bum leg-- I sent "cornish hen" to work with my dh for lunch:D The rest did great! They were all pullets except 1-- I don't care either way, but I know some do.

I also ordered 25 (got 26) pullets, and had 1 roo in the bunch, no losses.

A few weeks ago, I ordered 15 (got 16) turkeys-- assorted bb, lost 2 and they credited the 1 no problem.

I deal with Ideal out of TX and they were sold out for the next month
sad.png
so I was so happy to find someone to keep me in the chicken business
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom