Raising different breeds together

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by biddybug, Jun 13, 2008.

1. biddybug

biddybug New Egg

Jun 13, 2008
    Hi new to this I am Looking a ordering some chicks what to make sure they will be ok together in the same coop

2 australorps
    2 blue silkie bantams
    2 buff opingtons
    2 golden lace wyandottes
    2 silver wyandottes

building a 8x8 coop with run will this be enough room
    will they be ok around the grandchildren

Also we live in florida will they ok here as far as heat

thanks for your help

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got a mixed bunch myself sebright,mille fleur,polish,silkie and cochin(frizzle) they get usually along. the little sebright is the leader of the pack though. But it should okay. Its more the temperament of the individual hen. A 65sqf coop is generous for 10hens , leave even room for 2-3 more. My kids play with chickens all the time, just superwise them. Make sure your run has shady spots for them and a spot for a dust bath. THat shouldnt be too hard though,sand is everywhere. DEpending where you live make sure your coop is predator proof, i mean we have everything from gators,snakes,racoons,possums and even black bears.

3. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have to agree that it's the temperament of the individual hens. I've never had silkies, but I own some of all the other breeds you listed and they are generally pretty laid back and don't tend to be the mean ones of the bunch - especially to my banty sized hens. (My brahma's are the bossy ones.)

8x8 coop is plenty - just give them a niced sized run and they'll love you forever.

People have been raising chickens in Florida for years so I'm pretty sure they can handle heat, just have ample shade and dusting areas. Mine prefer dusting IN the shade when it's really warm outside. Good luck and make sure to take lots of pictures when you get your babies![​IMG]

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I forgot to say yeasterday if they can survive and multiply in Key west , it'll be okay where you live too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by