Raising Different Breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken5, Jan 25, 2010.

1. chicken5

chicken5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    IL
    New here..Right now, I have 40 chicks about 8 weeks old. Thirty of them are standard breed. Ten are what I call "mixed". I know there's a better name, but can't think of it. Anyway, my question is in regards to the chicks that are mixed. My chickens and roosters are free-range. So, basically, I'm not sure who is breeding with who...Are those chicks just as good as the others that I ordered and know the breed? My mixed are beautiful, but to some people think they are odd in appearance. They sure don't look like the "norm"! I hate to fence them by breed just to get true breed chicks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    It depends. If you are just interested in eggs, it doesn't matter if your"mutts" are mixed with your breeds. But if you plan on selling eggs or chickens of a certain breed, then you need to know so that you don't tell people you are selling a certain breed and it ends up being a cross. For instance, if you told me you were selling me Delaware eggs, and I ended up with red chicks I would be pretty upset. [​IMG]

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

If all you want is eggs and yard ornaments, you should be fine keeping them together. If you decide you want chicks from a particular breed, just pen a few hens and a rooster together for a month and then start collecting eggs. It takes about 3 weeks to rid the hens of other roosters "infuence", so a month is a "for sure" thing. Have fun.........Pop

4. chicken5

chicken5 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    IL
    So, basically if I'm not selling "hatching" eggs or baby chicks, it really doesn't matter. But, if I was to sell some chicks to "the neighbor down the road", I would just have to tell him they are "mutts". And, make sure he isn't looking for standard breed chicks. Do I have it right?

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    "Standard" refers to size, not breed. I.e. there are standard size chickens and bantam sized. So a mutt can still be a "standard" size chicken. You can still sell the chicks but you would want to disclose that they are mutts. For egg production it makes no difference - the neighbor who buys your mutts will get just as many eggs from a mutt chicken as they would have from a purebred. And if you are selling the eggs for eating, there would be no need to disclose that the chickens who laid them are mutts at all.

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Yup. You got it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by